Dental Crowns Restore Cracked, Chipped, Broken, or Missing Teeth
Are you self-conscious about your smile due to a chipped, cracked, or broken tooth? Do you suffer from tooth decay or severe discoloration? If so, dental crowns may be the solution you’ve been looking for. At Union Chapel Dentistry in Fort Wayne, IN, Dr. David Painter and our dental team offer high-quality dental crowns that can transform your smile and improve your oral health.
Explore our guide to dental crowns to learn how they can rejuvenate your oral health and smile.
What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are custom-made tooth-shaped caps placed over damaged teeth to improve their appearance and function. Crowns can be made of several materials, including porcelain, ceramic, metal, and resin. Crowns can treat a range of dental issues, including:
- Cracked, chipped, or broken teeth
- Severely decayed teeth
- Discolored or stained teeth
- Misshapen or uneven teeth
- Teeth with large fillings
- Teeth that have had root canal therapy
The Dental Crown Procedure at Union Chapel Dentistry
If you’re considering crowns, here’s what you can expect during the procedure:
The first step is to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced Fort Wayne dentists. During the consultation, we’ll examine your teeth, discuss your concerns, and develop a customized treatment plan.
To prepare for the crown, we’ll need to remove a small amount of enamel from the tooth to make room for the crown. If the tooth is severely damaged or decayed, we may need to perform additional procedures, such as a root canal.
Next, we’ll take an impression of the prepared tooth. This impression will help dental manufacturing technicians in a dental lab create your custom crown.
While your permanent crown is being fabricated, Dr. Painter will place a temporary crown over the prepared tooth. This temporary crown will protect the tooth and allow you to maintain your routine while you wait for your permanent crown.
Once your permanent crown is ready, we’ll remove the temporary crown and place the permanent crown over the prepared tooth. We’ll make any necessary adjustments to ensure a comfortable fit.
The Benefits of Dental Crowns
- Improved Appearance: One of the primary benefits of dental crowns is that they can dramatically improve the appearance of your teeth. Crowns can cover up imperfections and discoloration, giving you a brighter, more uniform smile.
- Enhanced Function: Dental crowns can also improve the function of damaged teeth. Crowns can restore the shape and size of a tooth, allowing you to bite and chew more comfortably.
- Long-Lasting: Crowns are designed to last many years with proper care and maintenance. Crowns are an investment in your oral health and well-being.
- Customizable: At Union Chapel Dentistry in Fort Wayne, IN, we offer custom-made crowns designed to fit your unique smile. Dental specialists carefully craft our crowns to blend seamlessly with your natural teeth, ensuring a natural-looking result.
Frequently Asked Questions
The dental crown procedure is typically not painful, as dentists generally numb the area around the tooth when treating the condition that has damaged the tooth. You may experience some discomfort or awkwardness as you get used to your new crown, but this will dissipate with time.
On average, crowns can last up to 10 to 15 years or even longer. But with proper care and maintenance, dental crowns can last for many years. This care includes regular brushing and flossing and routine visits to your dental office.
Like any dental procedure, there are some risks associated with dental crowns, such as infection or nerve damage. However, these risks are rare and can be minimized by choosing an experienced dentist.
Yes, once your dental crown is in place, you should be able to eat normally. However, you should avoid biting down on hard objects or using your teeth to open packages, as this can damage the crown.
Dental Crowns Give Patients Their Smiles Back
If you’re looking to improve the appearance and function of damaged teeth, dental crowns may be the right choice. At Union Chapel Dentistry in Fort Wayne, IN, we offer high-quality dental crowns designed to blend with your natural teeth. Dr. Painter is committed to providing personalized care and attention to each of our patients.
Don’t let damaged or discolored teeth hold you back from smiling with confidence. Contact Union Chapel Dentistry today by calling (260) 232-0280 to schedule a consultation.