Call Union Chapel Dentistry for Emergency Dental Care
Amid life’s unpredictable twists and turns, dental emergencies can strike without warning, causing excruciating pain and distress. Fortunately, the residents of Fort Wayne, IN, have a reliable ally in their corner when faced with urgent dental situations — Fort Wayne dentist Dr. David Painter and his team at Union Chapel Dentistry. Union Chapel Dentistry stands as a beacon of hope and relief, providing comprehensive emergency dental care to our patients in need.
Learn about our emergency dental services in Fort Wayne and how to be better prepared for any dental emergency.
What Is Emergency Dentistry?
Emergency dentistry refers to the specialized branch of dental care that focuses on providing immediate and urgent treatment for dental issues that require immediate attention. Dental emergencies can arise unexpectedly, causing severe pain, trauma, or damage to the teeth, gums, or surrounding oral structures.
Unlike regular dental visits scheduled in advance for preventive or routine care, emergency dentistry addresses urgent situations that require prompt intervention to alleviate pain, prevent further complications, and restore oral health. Dental emergencies can include:
- Severe toothaches
- Knocked-out or broken teeth
- Oral infections
- Gum injuries
- Other dental trauma
Dental Emergencies: What To Look For
While it’s always best to consult with a dentist to determine the urgency of a particular situation, the following are some common scenarios often considered dental emergencies:
- Severe Toothache: Persistent and intense tooth pain that affects daily activities and is not relieved by over-the-counter pain medications may indicate an underlying issue such as an infection, decay, or a dental abscess.
- Knocked-Out Tooth: It’s crucial to seek immediate dental care if trauma or injury knocks a tooth out. The chances of saving the tooth are significantly higher if it is re-implanted within a short timeframe.
- Broken or Fractured Tooth: A fractured or broken tooth can cause pain, sensitivity, and compromised oral function. Prompt dental attention is necessary to assess the extent of the damage and determine the appropriate treatment, such as bonding, dental crown, or extraction.
- Loose Tooth: Adult teeth should not be loose, and any sudden mobility or movement in a tooth may indicate an underlying problem that requires immediate evaluation.
- Dental Abscess: A dental abscess is a painful infection that forms around the tooth root or in the gum tissue. Symptoms include swelling, fever, a foul taste, and difficulty swallowing. Immediate treatment is crucial to prevent the infection from spreading.
- Severe Gum or Facial Swelling: Unexplained swelling in the gums, face, or jaw can indicate an infection or abscess. Urgent dental care is necessary to diagnose the cause and initiate appropriate treatment.
- Uncontrolled Bleeding: Excessive or uncontrolled bleeding from the mouth due to a dental injury or extraction requires immediate attention to determine the cause and provide appropriate treatment.
- Dental Trauma: Any trauma or injury to the mouth, teeth, or jaw, such as a fractured jaw, dislocated jaw, or facial lacerations, should be addressed promptly to prevent further complications.
Our Emergency Dental Treatments at Union Chapel Dentistry
Dental Pain Management
Our Fort Wayne dental team implements swift, effective dental pain management for severe toothaches or oral pain. We use pain-relief methods such as administering pain medications, applying localized anesthetic to numb the affected area, or performing emergency root canal treatment to alleviate the underlying cause of your dental pain.
While we prioritize maintaining the structure of your natural teeth, tooth extraction may be the best option to protect oral health in an emergency. Dr. Painter can gently remove severely damaged, decayed, or infected teeth that cannot be restored or saved. He’ll ensure the tooth is extracted with precision and minimal discomfort. We can recommend tooth replacement options if necessary.
Dental Trauma Treatment
Dental trauma treatment is the immediate assessment and management of dental injuries resulting from accidents, falls, or sports-related incidents. This trauma dental care includes treating fractured or broken teeth by applying dental bonding or crowns, stabilizing dislodged teeth, or addressing injuries to the soft tissues through suturing or other appropriate measures.
Dental Abscess Drainage
Dental abscess drainage involves the treatment of dental abscesses, which are painful infections that can form around the root of a tooth or in the gum tissue. Dr. Painter will make an incision in the infected area to allow drainage, relieve pain, and initiate the healing process. He may also prescribe antibiotics to control the infection.
Root Canal Therapy
Emergency root canal treatment can alleviate severe pain caused by infection or inflammation in the dental pulp. Dr. Painter employs this method to remove the infected material from within the tooth, thoroughly clean and disinfect the root canal, and seal it to prevent further infection. This procedure is typically performed with the patient under a local anesthetic or dental sedation to ensure patient comfort.
At Union Chapel Dentistry, our team can repair or replace damaged or broken teeth using various restorative dentistry treatments. These restorations may involve placing dental fillings to restore decayed or chipped teeth, dental bonding to repair minor fractures, dental crowns for extensively damaged teeth, or dental bridges to replace missing teeth and restore oral function.
Seek immediate re-implantation of an avulsed (knocked-out) tooth to increase the chances of saving it. Our Fort Wayne dentist will carefully clean the tooth and socket, reposition the tooth, and stabilize it with splints or wires. Prompt action is crucial for successful re-implantation, so it’s vital to seek immediate dental care.
Control and treat excessive bleeding from the oral cavity caused by dental trauma, gum disease, or tooth extractions. One of our dental professionals will apply pressure to the affected area, use appropriate techniques to stop the bleeding, and provide instructions for post-treatment care to promote healing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Emergency dental clinics can provide immediate care for urgent cases. While it’s advisable to call ahead, most emergency dental clinics accept walk-in patients and strive to accommodate them as quickly as possible.
While awaiting emergency dental care, you can manage dental pain at home by rinsing your mouth with warm saltwater, taking over-the-counter pain relievers (following the recommended dosage), and applying a cold compress to the affected area to reduce swelling and numb the area temporarily.
Coverage for emergency dental treatment may vary depending on your dental insurance plan. Contact your insurance provider to understand the specific coverage for emergency dental services. Many dental practices also offer flexible payment options for patients without insurance coverage.
While some dental emergencies are unavoidable, you can take certain precautions to reduce the risk. Maintain a good oral hygiene routine, including regular brushing and flossing, wear a mouthguard during sports activities, avoid biting on hard objects or ice, and schedule routine dental check-ups to detect and address any potential issues before they become emergencies.
Don’t Hesitate — Call Us For Emergency Dental Care
Don’t let dental discomfort or trauma disrupt your life any longer. Contact Union Chapel Dentistry today to receive swift attention and relief from your dental emergency. Our state-of-the-art facility, compassionate staff, and commitment to personalized care ensure that you’ll be in good hands.
Call (260) 232-0280 or use our online appointment form to reach our attentive dental team at Union Chapel Dentistry. We’re happy to help new and returning patients from Fort Wayne and the surrounding areas of New Haven, Ellisville, and Allen, IN.